how to create a DVD backup filesystem?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat Jan 24 18:32:21 PST 2009

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 02:53:46AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 16:02:58 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > 	After a dozen failures, your earlier post did work.  I did a
> > 	mkdir cdr; cp'd hundreds of megs into it, then ran mkisofs.  And
> > 	lastly ran dvdisaster against the iso file to get an ECC listing.
> >
> > 	Now to find out how to burn this image to a CD or DVD....
>
> There are several possibilities. The hard way? :-)
>
> 1. Record on CD-R(W)
>
> 	a) FreeBSD's burncd
>
> 		% burncd -e -v -s 16 -f /dev/acd0 data cdr.iso fixate
>
> 	b) The port cdrtools (includes cdrecord)
>
> 		% cdrecord dev=1,0,0 speed=16 -v -eject -tao -data cdr.iso
>
> 2. Record on DVD+-*/R(W)
>
> 	The port dvd+rw-tools (includes growisofs)
>
> 		growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=cdr.iso
>
> 	This example implies the following setting in /etc/devfs.conf:
>
> 		link    cd0     dvd
>
> 	Alter device to fit your needs.
>
> As aleays, check the manpages. They're helpful and include kind-of
> copy & paste examples.
>
> Note that 1 b) and 2 need atapicam (in kernel or via kldload).
>
> For 1 b), you can check which SCSI ID corresponds to your recorder
> using the command
>
> 	% camcontrol devlist
>
> Have in mind that permissions have to be set correctly in order to
> access these devices for writing. It's intended to be that way. :-)
>
> Finally, check the optimal writing speed for your CDs and DVDs.
>

> > 	So long as this is readable on FBSD, Linux, or a Mac, I'll be
> > 	happy.
>
> These platforms will read everything that has been mentioned in
> this thread already, because they're real operating systems (and
> not excuses for being none). :-)
>
> I think the ISO-9660 + RockRidge is the most comfortable way for
> what you intend - allthough the tar method (or even the UFS method)
> won't be any problem here. But as I said, maximum compatibility is
> always welcome for backups.

	Max, yes, even if all I have is DOS :-)

	Thanks very much.  I do have dvd linked in /etc/devfs.conf, as
	well as the atapi/cam/SCSI xpt stuff compiled in.  So the last
	step would seem to be simply mousing in your  cdrecord for my
	CD's.  Probably use a seperate script for the DVD's and growiofs.

	gary

    The 2.23a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php