Backup program on FreeBSD for DLT drive

Geoff Fritz gfritz at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 19:21:15 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 08:30:56PM +0100, bsd wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am using a FreeBSD server 7.0 as a Samba server and wanted to backup
> this server using Quantum DLT tape.
>
> I would need a simple tool that could be configured rapidl at that's
> stable enough to provide high security for the data.
> Ideally any good pointer to a howto would be a must!

I've had success with Bacula for a small office file server (FreeBSD) and
Windows clients clients.  It supports SSL for the data transfer (if the
client and server are not the same machine), as well as data encryption:

http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Data_Encryption.html

I haven't used the encryption myself.  Bacula has a bit of a learning curve
to set up corretly, but I really enjoy its use once it it set up correctly.

-- Geoff