Backup program on FreeBSD for DLT drive

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 22 12:34:57 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 08:30:56PM +0100, bsd wrote:
> I am using a FreeBSD server 7.0 as a Samba server and wanted to backup
> this server using Quantum DLT tape.
>
> I would need a simple tool that could be configured rapidl at that's
> stable enough to provide high security for the data.
> Ideally any good pointer to a howto would be a must!

Read §16.12 (Backup Basics) in the FreeBSD Handbook. You'll find the
English version in /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/backup-basics.html.
For full backups dump(8) and mt(1) seem to be the tools of choice.

If you use dump and you want encryption, you could pipe the dump output
through openssl to encrypt it with e.g. the AES algorithm with a 256 bit
key. Run 'openssl enc -help' to see the encryption algorithms available.

All the tools mentioned above are available in the base system, which is
a prequisite for restoring system partitions in my book.

My own backup strategy is to write dumps or /, /usr and /var to an
external USB harddisk or DVD, for an easy restore. For large data partitions I
prefer to rsync(1) to a geli(8) encrypted partition on an external
harddisk, because it is faster and more convenient than a dump.

Roland