root's crontab and mysqldump

Joseph Simmons josephdsimmons at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 10:03:16 PST 2009

I'm running  a FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE system and am trying to run a mysqldump
as root. I've written a very simple script that does the dump, it works fine
when I run it manually, but when I include it in the root's crontab (crontab
-e) or in the system's crontab (/etc/crontab), I see that the script is ran
in the log but it doesn't do anything. I'm able to run other cron jobs as
root without any problem. This script is only suppose to create a file
containing the dumped database.