fetchmail and plain text password

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Dec 29 13:44:29 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 02:22:09PM +0100, Roland Smith wrote:
> > U.S. oriented to the home user - rarely do,  It's a non-trivial
> > amount of work to get working and then monitor for correct behavior
> > and possible breaches.
>
> Agreed. Which is exactly why I like xs4all so much. :-) They do provide these
> kinds of services.
>
> But I would expect a university network (which I understand what the OP is
> talking about) to offer something more sophisticated than plain POP3. I would
> expect at least bSMTP. Bristol seems to have a computer science
> department. That's at least a pool of warm bodies to train as sysadmins. :-P

it doesn't work like that..

I think it's an imap server.

Anyway, I'm trying to get in touch with them.
One of the problems is that the Uni are trying to
implement a system where mail is never downloaded from the
main mail servers at all. At least this is what I gather.
So when users launch their mulberry (a typical Uni mail
client) they connect to the mail servers, read and reply
and whatever, but the data is just viewed on PCs and not
stored there. I might be wrong, but that's my understanding.
So programs like fetchmail that actually connect to their
imap server and download mail to local boxes are probably
not very welcome.

many thanks
anton

--