fetchmail and plain text password

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 29 13:22:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 08:03:53AM -0500, Robert Huff wrote:

> Anton Shterenlikht writes:
> >  > I'd be more worried that your password is sent as plaintext over
> >  > the network using e.g. POP3. You should use the --ssl option if
> >  > your mailserver allows it.
> >
> >  it looks like it doesn't allow ssl.
>
> 	It is my understanding ISPs - at least those in the
> U.S. oriented to the home user - rarely do,  It's a non-trivial
> amount of work to get working and then monitor for correct behavior
> and possible breaches.

Agreed. Which is exactly why I like xs4all so much. :-) They do provide these
kinds of services.

But I would expect a university network (which I understand what the OP is
talking about) to offer something more sophisticated than plain POP3. I would
expect at least bSMTP. Bristol seems to have a computer science
department. That's at least a pool of warm bodies to train as sysadmins. :-P

Roland