location of discussion of lives

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sat Dec 26 09:27:02 UTC 2009

leeoliveshackelford at surewest.net wrote:
> Good morning, dear FreeBSD enthusiast.  Can you help me to negotiate
> the FreeBSD website?  I am trying to find a general discussion about
> "livefs."   I have not been successful at entering the correct
> sequence of search terms to find a general discussion about this
> topic.  I would like to know what this feature does, and the
> situation in which a user would wish to install it.  My question
> would refer to either release 7 or release 8.  Thanks for any and all
> enlightenment.  Yours truly, Lee S.

'livefs' is not something I recognize that you can install like
that.  In fact, it's not something I heard of in exactly those terms.

About the closest thing is 'live filesystem' -- which is usually used
in the context of the .iso CD/DVD images used for installation.  In this
sense, the installation media contain a ready-to-run copy of FreeBSD, and
it's 'live' in the sense that you can just boot up from one of the CDs and
drop into a fully function copy of the OS running from the CD.  ie. it's
an ordinary filesystem, but presented so that it can be used "live".  To do
this, boot from FreeBSD installation media, and select 'Fixit' mode from
the main menu, then (I think) 'Live Filesystem' from the next screen.

Note that although this is a fully functional FreeBSD system, it's *just*
FreeBSD -- no add-on software.  Which means: no X windows, no graphical
applications.  You will need to be capable with a Unix CLI to use it.

If you want a Live-CD with all the glitz and windowing stuff, then search
for Freesbie -- the projects main page should be at http://www.freesbie.org/
but it seems to have been down for some months.  You can still get the
disk images though. eg:

http://ftp.uk.freesbie.org/sites/ftp.freesbie.org/pub/FreeSBIE/

	Cheers,

	Matthew