location of discussion of lives

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 26 00:05:05 UTC 2009

leeoliveshackelford at surewest.net wrote:

> Good morning, dear FreeBSD enthusiast.  Can you help me to negotiate the
> FreeBSD website?  I am trying to find a general discussion about "livefs."
>   I have not been successful at entering the correct sequence of search
> terms to find a general discussion about this topic.  I would like to know
> what this feature does, and the situation in which a user would wish to
> install it.  My question would refer to either release 7 or release 8.
> Thanks for any and all enlightenment.  Yours truly, Lee S.

The LiveFS is a bootable CD with a very minimal set of utilities present. It
is somewhat comparable to the minimal install, except booting from a CD. You
would not necessarily "install it". It is primarily a system admin tool to
aid in recovery of a damaged system, or can also be used to initially pre-
configure a system in special ways which are not yet included in the
standard sysinstall. Such things may be GPT partitioning, setting up drives
for ZFS, and the like. It is more of a fixit/rescue tool, and for other
advanced sysadmin functions.

-Mike