clicky driver

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Fri Dec 25 23:50:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 10:53:43PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:37:13 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> > 	at first I'm lookings for a "cots" (commericial, off-the-shelf)
> > 	solution.  The XO has stereo speakers and so do the notebooks.
> > 	I am thinking of the 'PC speaker'; something that would sound for
> > 	around a 25th/second, very low and with at least some loudness
> > 	control.
> >
> > 	The xset utility let me turn off repeating keys so that I
> > 	do tyyyyyyyyyyyyype "type" that way.  xset also has a key-click
> > 	setting for click and loudness.  Don't know about pitch.  That
> > 	would need to be integrated with what I'm thinking of.

> for the PC speaker, pitch is in Hz and duration in ms. If
> vol is < 100, it's functionality is implemented by shortening
> the duration. A command like "xset b 100 100 25" should give
> what you want. As far as I understood, the PC speaker has no
> volume control per se.

	you cmd example failed on my Konsole; the usage output was
	output.  The beep is extremely low on the old Dell, and I'm
	still running without X11 on my server.

	I'll poke around for other, things that don't requie X.  I'm
	looking at the drivers too.

> > 	There are a few who actually *do* have text-only pages.
>
> And fewer do have alt= and longdesc= for included images.
> Being suitable for blind users doesn't mean to completely
> look boring to viewing users. Careful HTML coding is the key.
> But sadly, it's not considered "modern"... :-(

	Right on the money there!  I suppose it's easier to slap up some
	pix.  maybe I do things with fewer photos because I hand-code html.
	In any case, I'm very conscious of my markup; I always check it via
	lynx .

> > 	In the third-word are at least millions of disabled folks--
> > 	mostly mouldering.  Some thinking: What the hey? Why not
> > 	blow myself up and then wake up in paradise? I'll get 70
> > 	angels all to myself. Oh-boy.
>
> Hmmm... that sounds appealing. :-)

	lOL, really.

> > 	Education is the only solution, even tho it will take generations.
> > 	That's why I think the XO is a win++
>
> It can help, if properly used. Wrong use can lead into the
> opposite. I can only tell you from Germany where school and
> education are epically failing since 1990, even though they
> employ "modern means of education"... a joke from an educational
> (scientifical) point of view.

	Are there regional differences, still? East/west? whatever?
	And how does GErmany stack up compared to the rest of the EU?
	And the States.  Public school or university?  Here it seems that
	lots of our grade schools are losing; grades 6-9 same. 9-12,
	same.

	Hey, the West is already losing to South and East Asia.   I'm not
	entirely sorry.  I say: let them muck around with global problems;
	see how they faire.    Blah * 3.

	:)

	gary

	PS: any idea how I can get/fetch the kdbio modules from of 2.2 to of 3.1?

    The 7.79a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php