clicky driver

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Dec 25 21:53:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 13:37:13 -0800, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> 	at first I'm lookings for a "cots" (commericial, off-the-shelf)
> 	solution.  The XO has stereo speakers and so do the notebooks.
> 	I am thinking of the 'PC speaker'; something that would sound for
> 	around a 25th/second, very low and with at least some loudness
> 	control.
>
> 	The xset utility let me turn off repeating keys so that I
> 	do tyyyyyyyyyyyyype "type" that way.  xset also has a key-click
> 	setting for click and loudness.  Don't know about pitch.  That
> 	would need to be integrated with what I'm thinking of.

for the PC speaker, pitch is in Hz and duration in ms. If
vol is < 100, it's functionality is implemented by shortening
the duration. A command like "xset b 100 100 25" should give
what you want. As far as I understood, the PC speaker has no
volume control per se.

> 	There are a few who actually *do* have text-only pages.

And fewer do have alt= and longdesc= for included images.
Being suitable for blind users doesn't mean to completely
look boring to viewing users. Careful HTML coding is the key.
But sadly, it's not considered "modern"... :-(

> 	In the third-word are at least millions of disabled folks--
> 	mostly mouldering.  Some thinking: What the hey? Why not
> 	blow myself up and then wake up in paradise? I'll get 70
> 	angels all to myself. Oh-boy.

Hmmm... that sounds appealing. :-)

> 	Education is the only solution, even tho it will take generations.
> 	That's why I think the XO is a win++

It can help, if properly used. Wrong use can lead into the
opposite. I can only tell you from Germany where school and
education are epically failing since 1990, even though they
employ "modern means of education"... a joke from an educational
(scientifical) point of view.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany