Hardware migration and upgrade from 6.3 to 8.0 advice

Adam Vande More amvandemore at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:36:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:57 AM, Achilleas Mantzios <
mantzios.achill at yahoo.com> wrote:

>                        Hello,
>
> i am facing this situation, where i need to upgrade from my 6.3 i386
> system, used as my main workstation, to a new hardware based on amd64
> (phenom II x4).
>

> My current system is alive since 2005, so is full of code, scripts,
> configurations,look&feel,ssh keys etc.. that i would like to keep
> handy in my new system.
>
> Also, currently i run gmirror, i am mentioning it, in case it affects
> something.
>

> Since 2005, dealing with programming/support/etc.. i haven't done any
> upgrade task in FreeBSD, so i dont feel that confident in this regard.
>

> I could:
>
> a) install a brand new 8.0-RELEASE in the new hardware and then
>
>  a1) just mount the old disks to the new system or
>
>  a2) migrate /home user data directly to the new home dirs
>
> b) migrate all current data to the new hardware, kernel/system
> included, and then try to upgrade to 8.0 (by sysinstall or
> makeworld/makekernel)
>

> So, its a trade-off between pain, correctness, effectiveness, and ease of
> use.
>

> What would you guys recommend? Which way to go? Any other options?
>
> Thanx in advance!
>
> Please include me in your CC, as i am not subscribed to the list.
>
> Achilleas Mantzios

You may want to consider installing from scratch and migrating over.  This
would allow you setup zfs and make the move easier.  Also may want to
explore run ahci(4) as that can seriously increase disk speed although I
believe many more improvements live in STABLE, not RELEASE.

--
Adam Vande More