KDE3 --> KDE4

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Fri Aug 7 05:27:04 UTC 2009

On Thursday 06 August 2009 05:53:05 pm Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On August 6, 2009 7:15:18 PM -0500 Andrew Gould
>
> <andrewlylegould at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Paul Schmehl<pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> Can someone who has already done this upgrade suggest the best way to go
> >> about it?  Do I need to completely uninstall kde3 first?  Is there an
> >> upgrade path that's not fraught with gotchas?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst
> >
> > Unless things have changed very recently, KDE4 is in its own directory
> > folder.  This may imply that KDE3 and KDE4 can coexist.
> >
> > As always, YMMV.
>
> I was looking for something a little more definitive, like I upgraded like
> this, and here's the problems I ran into.
>
> I don't want to run KDE3 and KDE4 side by side.  I want to migrate from
> the former to the latter.

There are features that haven't made it to kde4 such as koffice. I added
OpenOffice but that can be a long compile. One of my favorite sites crashes
konqueror, which wasn't a problem on kde3. I left my slower machine, which I
use for e-mail, and web browsing running kde3 and play with kde4 on my system
that can do a portupgrade -pfR kde4 in 7 hours and build OO in less than 2
hours. It is running kde-4.3 now and it has been recursively rebuilt. The
browser crash is still there. I can use the packages of common ports to
update the slower machine. They are on a 4-port kvm and it is too easy to
simply use the machine that works the best.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA