Manual Installations on Flash Media

David Allen the.real.david.allen at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 21:46:05 UTC 2009

I need to create a FreeBSD installation on an SSD drive (connected via a
USB adaptor), and would like to do so manually so as to avoid the use of
an installation CD, PXE or sysinstall.

1.	When creating an /etc/fstab file, does the order in which entries
	appear have any significance?   I've noticed that when using
	sysinstall approach, the entries appear in the following order:

	# Device       Mountpoint   FStype  Options  Dump  Pass#
	/dev/ad0s1b    none         swap    sw       0     0
	/dev/ad0s1a    /            ufs     rw       1     1
	/dev/ad0s1e    /tmp         ufs     rw       2     2
	/dev/ad0s1f    /usr         ufs     rw       2     2
	/dev/ad0s1d    /var         ufs     rw       2     2

	Would a device alphabetical order (as used by bsdlabel) work?

2.	I don't expect the system to swap, so can I dispense with a swap entry
	and have everything function normally (no error messages, etc.)?

3.	Will adding `noatime' to / or any other filesystem have any
	consequences?