freebsd vs. pc-bsd

Charles Oppermann chuckop at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 12:18:24 UTC 2009

> If your willing to buy books concerning FreeBSD I'd suggest Absolute
> FreeBSD 2nd edition (if you have use Unix like systems) or FreeBSD
> Unleashed 6 (though it was published at the of FreeBSD 6 it is still
> very applicable and provides introduction to Unix like systems).

Second the recommendation on both books.  I recently found booksellers
discounting "FreeBSD Unleashed 6" and was able to pick it up for $14USD at a
local retailer.  It's still very applicable to FreeBSD 7.x versions.

I think "Absolute FreeBSD" (2nd Edition) is also acceptable even if you
haven't been exposed much to Unix-based operating systems.  It just goes
through the introduction quicker.  It's mainly for people who wish to run
FreeBSD in a server environment, as opposed to a desktop environment.