freebsd vs. pc-bsd

Andrew Gould andrewlylegould at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 19:00:47 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Ricardo Jesus <ricardo.meb.jesus at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Michael Jr. wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was just wondering what are the major differences between freebsd and
>> pc-bsd and is it harder or just as easy to setup freebsd as a desktop
>> compared to pc-bsd? Will freebsd work with sager laptops, and will freebsd
>> recognize 4 gigs of ddr3 memory and if it does not regularly, how can I get
>> freebsd to recognize 4 gigs of ddr3 memory? Will freebsd be able to
>> recognize the latest technologies, like
>> intel core 2 duo and the new Nvidia GTX260m, and hard drives at any speed
>> like 7200 rpm? I don't know any kind of code so is there any books or any
>> kind of resources that you recommend I look at?
>> Sorry I have so many questions but I just ordered a new sager laptop and I
>> do not really want to have to use windows vista if I don't have to, and I
>> think it would be fun to learn how to use freebsd.
>>

>> Thank you,
>> Michael Haid

If you want a desktop with KDE, flash, JRE and printing with HP printers,
PC-BSD is a great choice.  Many of my preferred applications are non-KDE
apps, so it's less of a great choice for me.  Both PC-BSD and FreeBSD work
well on my Dell Inspiron 8100 (circa 2000); so you know they don't hog a lot
of resources.

I don't know about sager laptops.

I don't think any 32bit operating systems recognize 4GB of RAM. For 4GB of
RAM, you would be better with the 64bit version of FreeBSD.  (I could be
wrong.)

Try a live CD in your laptop to determine whether the hardware is properly
recognized.

I hope this helps,

Andrew