The Last Frontier : a good multimedia application

Manish Jain invalid.pointer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 14:11:14 UTC 2009

Robert Huff wrote:
> Erik Gustafson writes:
>

>>  Have you tried the ports multimedia/mplayer or multimedia/vlc? I
>>  can't live without mplayer on my desktop and it usually "just
>>  works" on everything i try to play.
>>

> 	I use mplayer too, but (as far as I know) the list of supported
> codecs hasn't changed in several years.  That's mostly not a
> problem, but there are certain file types (.wmvs I have been told
> are handled correctly by Windows Media Player 10/11; this may be a
> DRM thing) that completely do not play.
>

>>  If you want a fancy GUI, search in ports/multimedia for mplayer
>>  and you will find kde-mplayer, gnome-mplayer and friends.
>>

> 	Mplayer has a gui (gmplayer) but it's pretty minimal.
>

> 				Robert Huff

Hello Robert / Erik,

Thanks a lot. MPlayer certainly seems to come with strong credentials
and recommendation. I am starting the build straight away. Since I am a
die-hard gnomer, I'll go for gnome-mplayer as the frontend.

--
Thank you and Regards
Manish Jain
invalid.pointer at gmail.com
+91-99830-62246

NB : Laast year I kudn't spell Software Engineer. Now I are won.