The Last Frontier : a good multimedia application

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Sat Apr 11 11:42:14 UTC 2009

Erik Gustafson writes:

>  Have you tried the ports multimedia/mplayer or multimedia/vlc? I
>  can't live without mplayer on my desktop and it usually "just
>  works" on everything i try to play.

	I use mplayer too, but (as far as I know) the list of supported
codecs hasn't changed in several years.  That's mostly not a
problem, but there are certain file types (.wmvs I have been told
are handled correctly by Windows Media Player 10/11; this may be a
DRM thing) that completely do not play.

>  If you want a fancy GUI, search in ports/multimedia for mplayer
>  and you will find kde-mplayer, gnome-mplayer and friends.

	Mplayer has a gui (gmplayer) but it's pretty minimal.

				Robert Huff