sound configuration for pidgin

kyanh xkyanh at gmail.com
Sat Apr 11 01:23:39 UTC 2009

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:06:39 -0500 (CDT)
Wes Morgan <morganw at chemikals.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Apr 2009, kyanh wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'd like to hear some notification from Pidgin. When configuring
> > Pidgin, I use mplayer %s
> > to make Pidgin play stuff. But it's hard to hear the sound as
> > pidgin's volume is small (while the system mixer is almost
> > 100:100). Is there anyway to have a bigger sound in Pidgin?
> >
> > Thank you!
>
> I would recommend installing the audio/normalize port, and using
> that to increase the volume of the sound files. If you don't want
> to alter the audio files, try using this as your sound command:
>
> mplayer -af volume=20 %s

Thank you. I didn't read carefully mplayer's man page.

When I use `mplayer -af volume=n` within `n > 10`, I get so much noises. The acceptable value is 9 or 10.

The sound files are taken from default installation of Pidgin, and I shouldnot ormalize them :) -- unless I want some lourder notifications.

Regards,

--
Ky Anh, Huynh
Homepage: http://viettug.org/