Kernel panic on disk timeout with 3ware controller

Jan Catrysse j.catrysse at proximedia.be
Fri Apr 10 15:16:52 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am using FreeBSD 7.1 RELEASE on a system with a 3Ware RAID controller, the
system resides on a RAID volume.

I get kernel panics complaining about page faults, swap space and a drive
timeout.

This is, I think, due to a faulty disk. The 3ware controller detects a
timeout, relaunches the disk and retries with success. This is, I suppose,
invisible for FreeBSD.

I am not experiencing problems with normal disk reads and writes, but when
it happens on the swap space FreeBSD does mind, gives a timeout and panics.
Can this behavior be changed?

I am never on site and I would prefer a simple error message and not a
kernel panic, I can change the disk with a hotspare remotely. Impossible
when the server is down.

Big thanks,

Jan