Writing hald .fdi files

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Tue Sep 30 20:32:17 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 21:43:20 Zahemszky Gábor wrote:
> Mon, 29 Sep 2008 22:13:09 +0200 -n
>
> Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> írta:
> > On Monday 29 September 2008 21:27:36 Zahemszky Gábor wrote:
> > > So my question: how can I make an .fdi file, which tells to these
> > > "automounters":
> > >
> > > if this is device X from vendor Y, mount it with mount option XY!
> >
> > Add a noauto mountpoint to /etc/fstab, with all the correct options.
> >
> > Though, hal is one of those projects that sparked my sig - too many
> > ways to possibly do it, not enough straight ways to really do it.
> > So, maybe check this too:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/halfaq.html#q3
>
> Hi!
>
> Thanks for your help, but it doesn't work. I read your mail, and that
> faq - btw, yo suggested to put that device info fstab, that faq suggest
> the opposite of that.

Yeah, I just saw that. I distinctly remember a pkg-message from a port that
said the opposite.

> I tried this line in /etc/fstab (this is line 13.)
>
> /dev/msdosfs/VERBATIM	/home/zgabor/VERBATIM
> msdosfs	large,noauto	0	0

Just to make sure, mount /home/zgabor/VERBATIM works with this line?

> - and tried it with /media/VERBATIM, /media, /mnt neither of them
> worked. I got the next error box:
>
> fstab: /etc/fstab:13: Inappropriate file type or format
> fstab: /etc/fstab:13: Inappropriate file type or format
>  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure
>
> I tried it with a "none" string as the mountdir, didn't work, too.

No idea, I see 'large' is
in /usr/local/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/20-storage-methods.fdi, under
vfat allowed options.
Maybe you should match on device/vendor string, rather then glabel device
node. I've been using devd succesfully, since I last battled with hal, so I'm
out of answers.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.