OpenGL things crash X in FB7-Stable, nVidia Card

Kemian Dang fbsd.kdang at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 28 22:07:27 UTC 2008

Daniel Molina Wegener wrote:
> On Sunday 28 September 2008 09:29:55 Daniel Bye wrote:

>>> Thanks for reply Daniel.
>>>
>>> I have re-installed the nvidia-driver and tested OpenGL -
>>> Crash again. So it seems not the case...
>> Rats! Sorry that didn't help.
>>
>> One other thing occurs to me - you mentioned you updated some
>> ports. Have you also updated your system source tree without
>> doing a full buildworld cycle? If so, chances are that your
>> nVidia driver is built against a different version of the
>> kernel source than the running kernel. Although any
>> differences will be minimal, there is a chance that something
>> changed enough to upset the driver.
>
>   I was having similar problems with the nvidia driver on my
> 6.4-PRERELEASE machine.
>
>   The solution was to remove agp and drm related drivers from
> the kernel configuration and setting:
>
> hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPFW=1
> hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPSBA=1
>
>   In my sysctl.conf, and also setting:
>
>     Option         "NvAGP" "3"
>
>   In my xorg.conf in the Screen section...
>
>   The concrete problem -- not related with GL failures -- was
> system freezing with /sysctl -a/ command on terminal emulators
> from X server.
>
>   I hope it would help.
>
>> Failing that, all I can suggest is that you keep an eye on
>> your console and see if the driver emits any messages just
>> before it chokes.
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Dan
>

> Best regards,

Does not work.
I have removed the agp in kernel(there is no drm in my kernel), set the
sysctl.conf and the xorg.conf. Recompiled and restarted my laptop.
Xorg still crashed when I selecting the OpenGL Screen Saver.

I can use sysctl -a, here is the result:

11:05pm kemian ~> sysctl -a |grep nvidia
hw.nvidia.version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  173.14.12  Thu Jul 17
18:06:02 PDT 2008
hw.nvidia.registry.EnableVia4x: 0

hw.nvidia.registry.EnableALiAGP: 0

hw.nvidia.registry.NvAGP: 1
hw.nvidia.registry.ReqAGPRate: 15
hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPSBA: 1
hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPFW: 1
hw.nvidia.registry.Mobile: 4294967295
hw.nvidia.registry.ResmanDebugLevel: 4294967295
hw.nvidia.registry.RmLogonRC: 1
hw.nvidia.registry.ModifyDeviceFiles: 1
hw.nvidia.registry.DeviceFileUID: 0
hw.nvidia.registry.DeviceFileGID: 0
hw.nvidia.registry.DeviceFileMode: 438
hw.nvidia.registry.RemapLimit: 0
hw.nvidia.registry.UpdateMemoryTypes: 4294967295
hw.nvidia.registry.UseVBios: 1
hw.nvidia.registry.RMEdgeIntrCheck: 1
hw.nvidia.registry.UsePageAttributeTable: 4294967295
hw.nvidia.registry.dwords:
hw.nvidia.cards.0.model: GeForce Go 6150
hw.nvidia.cards.0.irq: 21
hw.nvidia.cards.0.vbios: 05.51.28.52.25
hw.nvidia.cards.0.type: PCI
dev.nvidia.0.%desc: GeForce Go 6150
dev.nvidia.0.%driver: nvidia
dev.nvidia.0.%parent: vgapci0

BTW, I have tried games/apoolGL, crashed as it started.

Thanks,
Kemian