OpenGL things crash X in FB7-Stable, nVidia Card

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sun Sep 28 17:14:07 UTC 2008

On Sunday 28 September 2008 18:36:17 Daniel Molina Wegener wrote:
> On Sunday 28 September 2008 09:29:55 Daniel Bye wrote:

> > > Thanks for reply Daniel.
> > >
> > > I have re-installed the nvidia-driver and tested OpenGL -
> > > Crash again. So it seems not the case...
> >
> > Rats! Sorry that didn't help.
> >
> > One other thing occurs to me - you mentioned you updated some
> > ports. Have you also updated your system source tree without
> > doing a full buildworld cycle? If so, chances are that your
> > nVidia driver is built against a different version of the
> > kernel source than the running kernel. Although any
> > differences will be minimal, there is a chance that something
> > changed enough to upset the driver.
>
>   I was having similar problems with the nvidia driver on my
> 6.4-PRERELEASE machine.
>
>   The solution was to remove agp and drm related drivers from
> the kernel configuration and setting:
>
> hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPFW=1
> hw.nvidia.registry.EnableAGPSBA=1
>
>   In my sysctl.conf, and also setting:
>
>     Option         "NvAGP" "3"
>
>   In my xorg.conf in the Screen section...
>
>   The concrete problem -- not related with GL failures -- was
> system freezing with /sysctl -a/ command on terminal emulators
> from X server.

I'm interested to see if this helps, since he has a 'Go' card, meaning laptop,
most likely no AGP.
These OpenGL apps, are they native or linux? Try games/apoolGL, for a
lightweight native OpenGL app.
I have very bad performance (fps <10) with linux games, under fc6, that run
fine under fc4. No crashes, though.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.