installing 7.0-release from .isos: endless mfi status msgs on console

Jacob Yocom-Piatt jy-p at fixedpointgroup.com
Sat Sep 27 14:30:53 UTC 2008

FreeBSD wrote:
> Jacob Yocom-Piatt a écrit :
>> am setting up a new fileserver on a poweredge 1950 and installing
>> from the freebsd 7.0-release .isos but can't read anything on the
>> console since the PERC 5/i or 5/e card(s) are dumping status messages
>> to the console non-stop (~1000 lines / minute).
>>

> What are exactly those messages? I have the same server with FreeBSD
> 7.0-Release too and I don't get any annoying messages. I would be
> tempted to say that there is something wrong...

martin,

they are status messages of some sort that are coming from the two PERC
cards installed in the machine, a 5/i for the SAS disks inside it and a
5/e for the MD1000 disk array attached to it via a SAS cable. since i
don't have a console attached at this machine's location, i can't easily
dump the messages here. suffice it to say that i get similar messages on
my other freebsd fileserver running on essentially the same hardware
(amd64 on poweredge 1950 + MD1000 enclosure). if you really want to see
them, i can acquire them from the console whenever i reboot the machine
but only after i have the console reading out.

if i wait 5-10 minutes, the messages 'settle' and the installer gets
further along, but the amd64 installer seizes whereas the i386 one gets
to the usual install menu, i.e. 'choose your country', etc. if the amd64
installer is seizing up, can anyone recommend a workaround? i'm not
about to install a 32-bit arch onto this machine since it needs to do
ZFS which is known to have additional problems with 32-bit arches.

cheers,
jake