How to select/choose new NIC under FreeBSD?

Ivailo Tanusheff i.tanusheff at procreditbank.bg
Fri Sep 26 12:05:21 UTC 2008

Hi mate,

You should install the hardware, then recompile the kernel, if you already
use a customized one.
Then you should edit /etc/rc.conf and set there to use the new NIC instead
of the old one. The other option is to use sysinstall program to set this,
but I preffer the manual interaction.
If you have customized firewall you might also set it in the firewall
config.

Regards,

Ivailo Tanusheff
Deputy Head of IT Department
ProCredit Bank (Bulgaria) AD

VeeJay <maanjee at gmail.com>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
26.09.2008 14:51

FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>, VeeJay
<maanjee at gmail.com>
cc

Subject
How to select/choose new NIC under FreeBSD?

Hello there,

At my work, I have a Dell PowerEdge2950 running FreeBSD 7.0, Webserver.
This
server has onboard Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T with 2 ports.
But we have faced watchdog timeouts and after googling and getting help on
this great forum, we were able to figure out that this is Broadcom
incompatibilty.
So, we have bought Intel Pro 1000PT Single Port Gigabit PCIe Cu now. Which
am going to install in the server but before;
I need some information, where I seek you guys help???

1. How to tell FreeBSD to which NIC to use?
2. Where else I should make changes under /etc folder?

I will aprecaite your help!
--
Thanks!

BR / vj