Wrong Build Environment

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Thu Sep 25 09:44:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 22:10:12 -0500 Martin McCormick wrote:

> 	I can't think what bone-head thing I did to cause this,
> but I've ruled out problems with the mrtg port or perl5.8. I
> actually built perl5.8 from a slightly older port, once, and got
> the same results. The port of mrtg is fairly old and was
> installed successfully on the system that works and also
> installed successfully on the broken system except it can't find
> its libraries.

> 	Any ideas?

1. Make sure that you really have only one perl version and all
dependent ports use the same version. A simple command may help:
-----
% ls -l /usr/local/lib/perl5 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
/usr/local/lib/perl5:
total 6
drwxr-xr-x  46 root  wheel  3072 23 sep 19:06 5.8.8
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   512 23 sep 19:06 site_perl

/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl:
total 2
drwxr-xr-x  6 root  wheel  512 24 sep 13:53 5.8.8
-----
You should get directories only for one perl version. If there are
others than find out which perl dependent ports were not updated.

2. Make sure that you really don't have that file at your system.
Find(1) may help here while locate(1) may have a stale database.

3. Make sure your pkg database doesn't register the meeded file as
installed. The following command may give some info:
-----
% grep <filename> /var/db/pkg/p5-*/+CONTENTS
-----

4. Compare an output of the command "make all-depends-list" at both
systems for the mrtg port.

5. Not using "make clean" may give one a trouble. Ex., someone
deletted a port by a pkg_delete command but $WRKDIR contains a flag
that this port had been installed -- here is a problem!

6. Examine configure.log file for the mrtg port to find out what this
port is looking for to determine an existance of the needed port. My
customer got a problem after cancelling a port installation at a
middle of the process: header files were installed but libraries
were not and a port was not registered at a pkg database. But those
header files were used by other port's Makefiles to detect if a port
is installed...

HTH and WBR
--
bsam