Wrong Build Environment

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Thu Sep 25 03:10:13 UTC 2008

	After several days of attempting to build mrtg on a
FreeBSD6.3 system, I know what is wrong but am not sure what I
did to break things nor how to roll back the change.

	On the broken system, I can deinstall both perl5.8 and
mrtg and then do a make install for mrtg which also builds
perl5.8 and installs it. When done, I have
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8 but the libraries mrtg needs
are not there. Instead, there are very similar files which mrtg
is not looking for.

	On another 6.3 system, I installed mrtg via the same
port and it also creates the exact same directory but it
contains the correct files. I have not set any environment
variables to anything other than the normal settings on either
system.

	Is there a proper way to determine where the make
process is going wrong?

	It is almost certainly some file in /usr/lib that got
built wrong that keeps steering the make attempt to populate
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 with the wrong files.

	Other than that, there are no complaints during the
build process. You just can't run the executable because it
can't find any of the files it needs.

	I can't think what bone-head thing I did to cause this,
but I've ruled out problems with the mrtg port or perl5.8. I
actually built perl5.8 from a slightly older port, once, and got
the same results. The port of mrtg is fairly old and was
installed successfully on the system that works and also
installed successfully on the broken system except it can't find
its libraries.

	Any ideas?

Thank you.

A very tired Martin McCormick