[freebsd-questions] Re: Machine locking up

Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET ml at t-b-o-h.net
Wed Sep 24 15:57:40 UTC 2008

Hi,

	Might be on track there. The default "background_fsck" is on and
the first time I didn't see any of the fsck syslog messages. On the second
reboot, I see them all. Oddly, on the reboot I see the first one done in
12 minutes from the boot, yet the prior boot went over an hour before it
locked up.

	I did run into some oddness though. I found it was doing the final
fsck on a 1.1TB filesystem, so I wandered into '/mountpoint/.snap' and did
an "ls -lt". It hung. When I did a CTRL-T, it told me it was in a spinlock.
I ran top and found I had 1/2 a dozen processes also in spinlock. I was
patient this time (And had other multiple VTYs logged in) so I waited it
out. All of a sudden all the spinlocks stopped, the processes and ls
completed, but it still was in pass 5 at 95%. It sat there for a while
before finally sending the output to syslog and <KNOCK KNOCK> things are
doing fair.  I'm letting the system have it easy for a few days before
I put a load back onto it (4 SETI).

	The 2nd part to recompile kernel/world... I don't worry too much
doing that. Its the "install" part that gives me the willies. I've done
that before on a system that was "acting up" and on reboot it just
"acted dead". I remember I had to hand copy some libraries over
after remaking AGAIN and things started to pick up. But scary as heck.
The system finally died totally about a month later.

		Thanks, Tuc