Machine locking up

Ivailo Tanusheff i.tanusheff at procreditbank.bg
Wed Sep 24 08:59:42 UTC 2008

I suggest you reboot in single user mode and fsck -fy the mount points you
use.
If the problem persists - you might recompile the kernel and world.

Regards,
Ivailo Tanusheff

"Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET" <ml at t-b-o-h.net>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
24.09.2008 10:56

freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
cc

Subject
Machine locking up

Hi,

                 We had a power failure at the datacenter we colocate at,
and all our
servers went down.

                 One is acting up ever since. It rebooted but wasn't
accessible. I
tried to log in via our KVM and got the login/pass, but when it did the
/etc/motd and rest it locked up. CTRL-C and CTRL-\ didn't do anything.
The remote KVM could C-A-D and the machine rebooted.

                 Once it rebooted it seemed ok, but then locked up again
while in use.
The odd thing was I remembered to try CTRL-T, and got :

load: 0.00 cmd: login 1188 [sysctl lock] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 176k

                 on the session I was trying to log in on, and on the
session I was
doing a tail, I saw :

load: 0.00  cmd: tail 2013 [proctree] 0.00u 0.00s 0% 0k

                 I could tab between VTYs, but logins wouldn't accept
input, and
I couldn't C-A-D this time around. I could telnet to a special port on it
for monitoring and get a reply, but SSH/sendmail didn't reply.

                 Its a FreeBSD 5.5 (I can't upgrade it, sorry)....

                 Any clues what to look for?

                                                 Thanks, Tuc