freebsd 7.1 - Good luck

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Sep 19 17:48:29 UTC 2008

Fian Dracestar <fian_bsd at yahoo.com> wrote:
 > When FreeBSD support ethernet type Gigabit ?

FreeBSD supports gigabit ethernet for quite a lot of years
already.  It even supports several 10-gigabit ethernet
interfaces.

 > and chipset sis (new)

I've recently updated a SiS chipset based machine (not
exactly new, though), and it works very well with FreeBSD.
>From dmesg output:

agp0: <SiS 730 host to AGP bridge> on hostb0
atapci0: <SiS 730 UDMA100 controller> port [...] at device 0.1 on pci0
sis0: <SiS 900 10/100BaseTX> port [...] at device 1.1 on pci0

I'm using an intel fxp(4) NIC in that box, though, not the
onboard sis(4), so I can't tell for sure whether the latter
works.

If you want to get support information about a specific SiS
chipset, you need to give us more information.  If you've
already installed FreeBSD, the output from "pciconf -lv"
and the contents of /var/run/dmesg.boot would be a good
start.

Best regards.
   Oliver

"Clear perl code is better than unclear awk code; but NOTHING
comes close to unclear perl code"  (taken from comp.lang.awk FAQ)