NTP on 7.1 BETA amd64 odd behaviour

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Thu Sep 18 17:46:06 UTC 2008

On Thursday 18 September 2008 16:44:40 Nash Nipples wrote:
> thanks for the new /etc/rc.d/ntpd
>
> > rc_flags="-c ${ntpd_config} ${ntpd_flags}"

> what we can learn from it is that on 7.1 BETA your rc.conf.local file
> should look like this
>
> ntpd_config="/etc/ntpd.conf"
> ntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid"
>
> hope that explains
> Nash

Almost.
Look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf:
ntpd_config="/etc/ntp.conf"     # ntpd(8) configuration file
ntpd_sync_on_start="NO"         # Sync time on ntpd startup, even if offset is
high
ntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid -f /var/db/ntpd.drift"
                                # Flags to ntpd (if enabled).

99% of the cases you don't need ntpd_flags. Only if you want the drift file in
a different location or use one of the more obscure options.

--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.