NTP on 7.1 BETA amd64 odd behaviour

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Sep 19 09:18:49 UTC 2008

Mel <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
 > On Thursday 18 September 2008 16:44:40 Nash Nipples wrote:
 > > thanks for the new /etc/rc.d/ntpd
 > >
 > > > rc_flags="-c ${ntpd_config} ${ntpd_flags}"

 > > what we can learn from it is that on 7.1 BETA your rc.conf.local file
 > > should look like this
 > >
 > > ntpd_config="/etc/ntpd.conf"
 > > ntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid"
 > >
 > > hope that explains
 > > Nash
 >
 > Almost.
 > Look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf:
 > ntpd_config="/etc/ntp.conf"     # ntpd(8) configuration file
 > ntpd_sync_on_start="NO"         # Sync time on ntpd startup, even if offset is
 > high
 > ntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid -f /var/db/ntpd.drift"
 >                                 # Flags to ntpd (if enabled).
 >
 > 99% of the cases you don't need ntpd_flags. Only if you want the drift file in
 > a different location or use one of the more obscure options.

In fact it might even be considered a bug that
"-f /var/db/ntpd.drift" is included in the default
flags.  If someone wants to override the default
location of the drift file, it is much better to
specify it in the ntp.conf file.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster."
        -- Niklaus Wirth