Port for drawing directed graphs?

N. Raghavendra raghu at mri.ernet.in
Wed Sep 17 05:51:26 UTC 2008

At 2008-09-15T10:31:57-04:00, John Almberg wrote:

> I am working on some software that must, as it's final output,
> produce a printout of a directed graph... nodes, connected by
> directed links.
>
> The printout could be generated by a postscript file, jpg, whatever.
>
> Does anyone know of a utility (in ports?) that can take a data set
> (for example, a two dimensional array that defines the nodes and the
> links between them), and produce a printable graph?

May not exactly be what you're looking for, but I have used the TeX
`xypic' package, which comes with `print/teTeX', for drawing directed
graphs.  From your other messages, I understand your graphs have a
large number of vertices.  I don't know how `xypic' scales for large
graphs.  The ones I've used it for were quite small.  Moreover, the
input format for `xypic' is similar to a matrix in LaTeX.  The package
essentially views the graph as a matrix, each of whose entries is a
label for a vertex together with vectors that represent the edges
starting from that vertex.

Raghu.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu at mri.ernet.in> | http://www.retrotexts.net/