crons and syslogd not running

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Fri Oct 31 19:08:02 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 08:56:33PM -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> I upgraded from 5.5 to 6.3, and I've noticed that many of my cronjobs defined
> in /etc/crontab don't seem to be running anymore. I have nightly jobs that
> obviously aren't running, and /var/log/cron makes no mention of them.
>
> Looking for logs, I found syslogd down, although cron was up.
>
> Any idea of where I should look? Stability problems in syslogd?

"dmesg" might show something like syslogd crashing or segfaulting for
some reason.

And no, I've never experienced any stability problems with syslogd on
FreeBSD (any version; 2.2.8 through 7.1).

Otherwise, I'd say the upgrade may have gone awry at one particular
stage of your upgrade.  If the problem doesn't recur, I wouldn't worry
too much about it.  Upgrading between major versions always seems to
have quirks/risks.