GPT Support on Freebsd

Franck Royer royer.franck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 16:51:35 PDT 2008

More news :

1) Boot from the livecd pcbsd
 	- Like I remember, pcbsd shows me only the first four partitions in the
installation wizard. That's correspond to the partitions which are
synchronised from the gpt by refit.
	- When I boot to emergency mode, I am able to access to all my partitions !
and a "gpt show ad0" works fine. But, still from the emergency mode, I chroot
in my pcbsd root partition, I can't see the gpt anymore. Pretty weird...

2) New kernel
Like I said, I recompile a kernel from the generic with two more lines :
"options         GEOM_PART_MBR"
"options         EXT2FS"
When I booted on it, I had a problem : ad0 became ad5. So the mountroot asked
me to enter the name of my root partition and Miracle ! it show me ALL my gpt
partitions, include my Home in ext2.

Then I enter "ad5s4a" which is my pcbsd root partition.
After the boot, I thought all was fixed but no, I still can only see the 4
first partitions in the /dev and "gpt show ad5" still returns an error.

It's pretty weird because before the mount of the root partition, i was able
to see all my gpt partitions, then after, the problem remains.

I don't enough know the freebsd boot process to understand by myself. Any
Ideas ?

Franck