GPT Support on Freebsd

Franck royer.franck at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 15:20:18 PDT 2008

2008/10/29 John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org>:
> On Wednesday 29 October 2008 05:39:27 pm Franck wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thank you for help. I provide you the maximum information about my
> partitions.
>>
>> Before, I watch the kernel configuration. When I fetch the kernel
>> sources, I can see 2 differents configuration files : DEFAULTS and
>> GENERIC. and the line : "options         GEOM_PART_GPT" is present
>> only in GENERIC. If I use my knowledge in linux systems, I would say
>> that my actual kernel was compiled with the DEFAULTS conf, which
>> doesn't enable the support of GPT for GEOM. Maybe I'm wrong, my knew
>> kernel is compiling...
>
> The install kernel from the CD is GENERIC.  So only if you've built a custom

I apologize, I didn't watch in the handbook for this

> kernel would you not have GPT support.   It seems that the kernel does find
> the GPT table, but gets confused by it.  Can you get the output of 'fdisk
> ad0' and 'gpt show ad0'?
fdisk ad0 :

******* Working on device /dev/ad0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=387621 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=387621 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 238 (0xee),(EFI GPT)
    start 1, size 409639 (200 Meg), flag 0
	beg: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63;
	end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
sysid 175 (0xaf),(HFS+)
    start 409640, size 37486592 (18304 Meg), flag 0
	beg: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63;
	end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 3 is:
sysid 131 (0x83),(Linux native)
    start 37897335, size 401625 (196 Meg), flag 80 (active)
	beg: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63;
	end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 38298960, size 38908800 (18998 Meg), flag 0
	beg: cyl 107/ head 0/ sector 1;
	end: cyl 818/ head 15/ sector 63

[Dante at iris-bsd ~]$ sudo gpt show ad0
gpt show: unable to open device 'ad0': Operation not permitted

>Normally with GPT you don't put a BSD label inside
> a GPT partition, so you wouldn't have /dev/ad0p4a, but instead would use a
> separate GPT partition for each filesystem/swap/etc.  The fstab from my
> laptop (not a macbook) looks like this:
>
> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
> /dev/ad0p3              none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/ad0p2              /               ufs     rw              1       1
> /dev/ad0p5              /tmp            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0p6              /usr            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/ad0p4              /var            ufs     rw              2       2
> /dev/acd0               /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0
>
> Are you booting using boot camp or parallels or some such?

Yes, I think It's the problem. Actually I have a Leopard Mac OS X
System. And it seems to automatically switch on the "bootcamp feature"
when I tried to install pcbsd. That's weird because I haven't any
problems to see the gpt table when I boot from a ubuntu cd for
example. If I well remember, I was obliged to install pcbsd in one of
the four first parititions. I'll reboot on the pcbsd cd to see if I
can access to all the partitions.

I realize that's must be efi/refit/bootcamp which mess up all. And I
don't how to fix that.

Thank you,

Franck

e-mail/jabber: royer.franck at gmail.com