WINE 21.1.5 QUESTION...

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Oct 27 11:45:18 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 11:34:52AM +0100, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
> On Sunday 26 October 2008 22:21:08 Gary Kline wrote:

> >> You can setup drive letters using the drives tab in winecfg.
> >> So, insert cdrom, mount it, run winecfg and assign a drive letter
> >> to the mount point. If you have hal/dbus enabled most of this is
> >> done automatically.
> >
> > hal/dbus are going.  How do I mount the cdrom on C:\ ?
> > I've already run winecfg and sound works, selected "Windows 95".
>
> No, you mount the cdrom like you normally would. If you use hal
> and the cdrom is mounted on /var/media/something, you need
> to tell wine (winecfg, drives tab) that whenever drive D: is
> accessed, it should look for the files in /var/media/something.
> After that you can run 'wine d:\\setup.exe'.
>
> You should see something like this in winecfg:
> C:  ../drive_c
> D:  /var/media/cd0
> Z:  /

	I get the general idea, but since I have two optical drives, not
	just one, things are a bit more complicated.  In / I've got
	/media/cdroms/0 and /media/cdroms/1; in /usr/home/kline is:
	~/cdroms/0 and ~/cdroms/1 . For some reason winecfg didn't
	understand this and I had to type in the /usr/home/kline/cdrom/0
	by hand.  It is listed as H:  That's fine; but in an
	xterm/Konsole messages kept getting printed to stderr so it looks
	like winecfg isn't looking at my 1sr optical drine.

	I've tried mount /media/cdroms/cd0 /mnt and other ploys.  Zip.
	IMO, anybody who has tried to do the ``impossible'' (wine)
	deserves a gold medal ... but I can't make it work.

	gary