DHCP and MAC addresses

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 27 09:13:57 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 06:54:30PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> I wonder what makes people live in both worlds - *BSD & Linux - is it
> for similar reasons?

Living in "both worlds" is a good thing: keeping an open mind about
operating systems and software is one of the best choices one can make.
BSD falls short in some areas where Linux excels, and Linux falls short
in some areas where BSD excels.

It's about using whatever tool works to get things done.  If that's BSD,
great.  If that's Linux, great.  If that's Windows, great.  But the
worst thing one can do is remain close-minded about operating systems;
one-sided advocacy (pro-BSD or pro-Linux) does nothing but hurt the
open-source concept.  (I'll remind folks that ZFS came from Solaris)