DHCP and MAC addresses

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 08:54:33 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM, en0f <en0f at bokey.mine.nu> wrote:
> Bob McConnell wrote:
>> On Behalf Of Odhiambo Washington
>>> One response I got off list was that I could use "deny
>>> unknown-clients;" if I use isc-dhcpd-server, which got me thinking ...
>>> is there another dhcp server for FreeBSD in the ports tree, or outside
>>> it?
>>
>> I have used dnsmasq on Slackware Linux. It is a combined DNS/DHCP server
>> that works well on small private networks. I don't know if it runs on
>> BSD.
>
> Same here. I've used it on Debian&Ubuntu without any problem on home network and as Bob mentioned it talks both DNS and DHCP.

Interesting how many people "dual-live" on this list:-)
I have been so allergic to Linux all these years until Ubuntu. I am
from Africa and I did not settle on Ubuntu just for the name but
because one client insisted he wanted a Unix server and it had to be
Linux.
I wonder what makes people live in both worlds - *BSD & Linux - is it
for similar reasons?

As regards DNS and DHCP servers, I'd never thought beyond BIND &
djbdns and isc-dhcpd respectively all these years (yes, my own Unix
epoch is 1997).

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,