does hardware upgrade requires reconfiguration?

Ivailo Tanusheff i.tanusheff at procreditbank.bg
Wed Oct 22 23:24:56 PDT 2008

Hi,

Well, the answer is both yes and no :)
If you have compiled a kernel, which supports multiple processors: options
     SMP or you have copied most of /sys/<hardware>/conf/SMP the processor
will be discovered and used without any additional configurations.
If you currently use all 4GB RAM - PAE config or amd64 or simmilar branch
- the extra RAM will be used without any reconfiguration.

If any or both of the above are not true - you have to change the options
in the kernel configuration file and recompile the kernel.

Hope this will help you :)

Regards,

Ivailo Tanusheff
Deputy Head of IT Department
ProCredit Bank (Bulgaria) AD

"Amitabh Kant" <amitabhkant at gmail.com>
Sent by: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
23.10.2008 06:52

freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
cc

Subject
does hardware upgrade requires reconfiguration?

Hi

I currently have a single processor/4gb ram machine with me which I am
thinking to upgrade to dual proc and 8gb ram. Does installing extra
processor requires re-configuration or re-installation of the os? The
extra processor will be mounted on the same motherboard.

With regards

Amitabh