does hardware upgrade requires reconfiguration?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed Oct 22 21:12:04 PDT 2008

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 08:48:37 +0530, "Amitabh Kant" <amitabhkant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Does installing extra
> processor requires re-configuration or re-installation of the os? The
> extra processor will be mounted on the same motherboard.

In most cases, no, because the GENERIC kernel is ready for
multiprocessor use. You should see changes in dmesg oztput
as soon as you changed the hardware, and the OS should be
able to utilize the new processor, as well as the upgraded
RAM. If you're using a custom kernel without SMP support,
it may (!) be a problem, but I'm not sure about this.

Finally, it's hard not to say: "Man, this is FreeBSD, and
not 'Windows'!" :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany