page fault while in kernel mode

Jeremy Chadwick koitsu at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 20 09:32:40 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:07:17PM -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 13:16 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 03:50:01PM -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > > I took a working 5.4-i386 server and trying to convert its RAID 5 to
> > > RAID 10 and load 7.0 amd64. I kept getting BTX halted even after
> > > flashing the latest bios and firmware for the raid card, Intel SRCZCR,
> > > in this dual Xeon 2.4GHz supermicro superserver. I have another server,
> > > bit newer, but same basic hardware makeup with Xeon 3.0 procs that runs
> > > 6.1-amd64 fine. Anyway, so I have resorted to the i386 version of 7.0 to
> > > see if the server is just incapable of running amd64, which after
> > > passing the initial boot where amd64 failed, now gives me the subject
> > > error after some reference to GEOM_LABEL. I did rebuild the RAID to
> > > RAID-10, can someone tell me what this error means?
> > >
> > > http://columbus.webtent.org/freebsd.png
> >
> > Can you please try 7.1-BETA2 instead (ISOs are now available)?  There
> > have been fixes/improvements to BTX since 7.0-RELEASE which could fix
> > your problem.
> >

> Thanks, but that didn't work either trying 7.1-BETA2 amd64 :(
>
> Forgot to mention I added memory to this server as well, took it from
> 2GB it was using under 5.4-RELEASE up to 6GB filling all slots, that is
> why I wanted to load amd64. I reduced down to 4GB and now am able to
> install 7.0-RELEASE i386. Does this mean that I may have a hardware
> issue or can FreeBSD produce the page fault I was getting when using
> over 4GB with i386?

i386 cannot address more than 4GB unless the kernel is built with PAE
mode enabled.  This isn't enabled in GENERIC for many (justified)
reasons.  If you have more than 4GB, you should be using amd64, so you
made the right decision there.

> I would love to figure out this BTX halted issue instead...any ideas
> on that?

Boot loader problems are difficult to figure out/debug for reasons which
should be obvious.  I'm CC'ing John Baldwin here, who has experience
with BTX.  He might be able to shed some light on this.