page fault while in kernel mode

Robert Fitzpatrick lists at webtent.net
Mon Oct 20 09:27:04 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-10-19 at 13:16 -0700, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 03:50:01PM -0400, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> > I took a working 5.4-i386 server and trying to convert its RAID 5 to
> > RAID 10 and load 7.0 amd64. I kept getting BTX halted even after
> > flashing the latest bios and firmware for the raid card, Intel SRCZCR,
> > in this dual Xeon 2.4GHz supermicro superserver. I have another server,
> > bit newer, but same basic hardware makeup with Xeon 3.0 procs that runs
> > 6.1-amd64 fine. Anyway, so I have resorted to the i386 version of 7.0 to
> > see if the server is just incapable of running amd64, which after
> > passing the initial boot where amd64 failed, now gives me the subject
> > error after some reference to GEOM_LABEL. I did rebuild the RAID to
> > RAID-10, can someone tell me what this error means?
> >
> > http://columbus.webtent.org/freebsd.png
>
> Can you please try 7.1-BETA2 instead (ISOs are now available)?  There
> have been fixes/improvements to BTX since 7.0-RELEASE which could fix
> your problem.

Thanks, but that didn't work either trying 7.1-BETA2 amd64 :(

Forgot to mention I added memory to this server as well, took it from
2GB it was using under 5.4-RELEASE up to 6GB filling all slots, that is
why I wanted to load amd64. I reduced down to 4GB and now am able to
install 7.0-RELEASE i386. Does this mean that I may have a hardware
issue or can FreeBSD produce the page fault I was getting when using
over 4GB with i386? I would love to figure out this BTX halted issue
instead...any ideas on that?

--
Robert