DHCP release/renew lease - elegant solution?

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 20 07:10:16 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 03:26:39PM +0200, Mel wrote:
> On Friday 17 October 2008 23:24:00 Nerius Landys wrote:
>
> > I have an always-on FreeBSD box which is connected to the internet.
> > My ISP is some cable company and the IP address is determined via
> > DHCP; I used to always get the same IP address but recently the
> > address seems to be changing very frequently whenever I reboot the
> > machine.
>
> If this is an always on machine, it makes no sense, unless the ISP is
> doing agressive accounting on there IP's:
> - give out a lease for x hours
> - but invalidate it anyway after <x hours.
>
> Doing a periodic dhclient -r would probably fix your problem, though
> the correct solution would be to complain with your ISP and switch to
> the competition if they don't get their stuff together.

It would help if Nerius would spend some time in the system logs and
dhclient man page to determine the state when his machine goes deaf. I
suspect firewall rules using static host IP address. Believe I have also
see this happen with natd, Once Upon A Time natd needed to be restarted
when the external IP address changed. Is possible for dhclient to do
this automatically.

As for a static IP address, many ISPs charge extra for this feature. One
ISP I deal with rotates our IP address every 18 to 48 hours and isn't
courteous enough to do it on a regular schedule or wait until off hours.
Means we have a couple of minutes of down time most every day when the
router recovers.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net