DHCP release/renew lease - elegant solution?

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Mon Oct 20 06:26:42 PDT 2008

On Friday 17 October 2008 23:24:00 Nerius Landys wrote:

> I have an always-on FreeBSD box which is connected to the internet.  My ISP
> is some cable company and the IP address is determined via DHCP; I used to
> always get the same IP address but recently the address seems to be
> changing very frequently whenever I reboot the machine.
>
> My problem is that recently, after being on for a day or so, the internet
> connection to the FreeBSD box breaks down, it stops working or becomes very
> intermittent/flaky.  I then reboot the machine, and thereafter it usually
> uses a new IP address and the internet connection returns fo running fine.
> There is no need to reboot the cable modem.

If this is an always on machine, it makes no sense, unless the ISP is doing
agressive accounting on there IP's:
- give out a lease for x hours
- but invalidate it anyway after <x hours.

Doing a periodic dhclient -r would probably fix your problem, though the
correct solution would be to complain with your ISP and switch to the
competition if they don't get their stuff together.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.