New PATA Drive

David Kelly dkelly at hiwaay.net
Mon Oct 13 14:03:50 PDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 01:56:40PM -0700, Doug Hardie wrote:
> I am encountering an issue with a new 160 GB PATA drive.  Its being
> installed on an old system (Pentium II).  The boot process never
> really starts.  It gets in the BIOS to where it checks for drives and
> hangs with the message searching for the primary drive on the
> channel.  Normally I have that disabled because the boot drive is SCSI
> but in that situation it just hangs and there are no messages.  This
> drive is the only device on the channel and it is jumpered for Master.
>
> I am suspecting that the issue is the drive ATA/100 is not falling
> back to ATA/66/33 such that the motherboard can properly detect it.
> Seagate does provide a utility to reset the drive back down from ATA/
> 100 but it requires that the boot get through to run the utility.  The
> drive works fine in a Mac but the utility won't run there.  I can
> continue to search for hardware that can boot with the drive attached
> to run the utility or am I chasing my tail here?
>
> Drive:  Seagate ST3160815A
>
> Motherboard:  ASUS P2L97 - Manual says ATA/33 only.

I have had exactly that sort of problem with a 160G Seagate drive on old
hardware. And even if it did work it would have only recognized 128G due
to hardware or BIOS limitations.

In the end I swapped an old HD out of another machine that was happy
with the new drive.

A CPU and motherboard that does recognize your ATA100 drive costs less
than the HD. Perhaps its time to upgrade the MB?

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly at HiWAAY.net