New PATA Drive

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Mon Oct 13 13:56:42 PDT 2008

I am encountering an issue with a new 160 GB PATA drive.  Its being
installed on an old system (Pentium II).  The boot process never
really starts.  It gets in the BIOS to where it checks for drives and
hangs with the message searching for the primary drive on the
channel.  Normally I have that disabled because the boot drive is SCSI
but in that situation it just hangs and there are no messages.  This
drive is the only device on the channel and it is jumpered for Master.

I am suspecting that the issue is the drive ATA/100 is not falling
back to ATA/66/33 such that the motherboard can properly detect it.
Seagate does provide a utility to reset the drive back down from ATA/
100 but it requires that the boot get through to run the utility.  The
drive works fine in a Mac but the utility won't run there.  I can
continue to search for hardware that can boot with the drive attached
to run the utility or am I chasing my tail here?

Drive:  Seagate ST3160815A

Motherboard:  ASUS P2L97 - Manual says ATA/33 only.