uptime 2 years!

Chad Marshall cmarshall at ahm-inc.com
Thu Oct 9 01:00:41 UTC 2008

No Problem, I figured that there are other systems out there with a
longer uptime. I have this server as a postfix/courier-imap/
squirrelmail  (60+ accounts and 30-40 forwards) mailserver with apache/
php/mysql.  Also use it as a slave authoritative nameserver for over
100 zones (one zone with a 60sec TTL on a high volume production
website) as well. Plus use it as a primary nameserver for our entire
office (300+ workstations). I was lazy with it (Upgrading or
Replacing) and when it hit a year, I decided to hold off doing
anything with it as I wanted to see how long I could let it go.  It's
a celeron 2.4ghz server with 512m Ram and has been a champ server in
it's performance and stability. I use CentOS for most of my other
systems and find that as easy as it is for administration and
upgrading, it lacks FreeBSD's performance. With the memory leaks that
CentOS has, I usually have to end up restarting the machine(s).  With
FreeBSD I can just restart the services, and got my memory back and
reduce the amount of swap being used.

Regardless of the first email I got back (Which was a little rude), I
will continue to run this server as long as I can and monitor the
security risks using DenyHosts and other security measures.

Thanks,