uptime 2 years!

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Thu Oct 9 00:19:29 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 22:47 +0000, Duane Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Frank Shute wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 08:54:47AM -0700, Chad Marshall wrote:
> >>

> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> Would like to share a success story which I'm sure you've had in the
> >> past but one of my servers running FreeBSD will have an uptime of 2
> >> years tomorrow. I plan on putting on my blog but as it doesn't have
> >> much reach but wanted to share with you since your community has made
> >> this possible. Please indicate where I could post this to have a bit
> >> more reach or if you'd like to put a link to my blog, I'd be more than
> >> happy to provide that.
> >>

> >> Best Regards,
> >>

> > Sorry to rain on your parade:
> >
> > http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-chat/2008-October/005719.html
>
> Uptime over seven(7) years? Must be behind some firewall and not have to
> worry about (what someone else has stated) kernel or userland updates.

I believe there is at least 2 ways to achieve this without a security
risk:

1. The updates were completed without rebooting (ie hot swapping the
kernel).

2. The system was behind a firewall and not used for anything except
maybe backups and/or file server. I know of an old system that ran for 3
1/2 years like this- name: Mother.