gmirror prerequisite question

Manolis Kiagias sonic2000gr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 13:48:50 UTC 2008

Dino Vliet wrote:
> Hey freebsd list,
>
> I've bought a secondry HDD to attach to my server running freebsd 7.0. I want to enable gmirror on it (will reinstall everything from scratch), but I want to know if my hardware is setup correctly as a prerequisite for doing this operation.
>
> The command
>
> dmesg | grep Seagate
>
> Yields:
>
> ad4: 76319MB <Seagate ST380815AS 3.AAC> at ata2-master UDMA33
> ad6: 76319MB <Seagate ST380815AS 3.AAC> at ata3-master UDMA33
>
> Can I assume everything is ok now and can I start the reinstallation? Why I'm in doubt is because of the master/slave thing I was expecting but that seems something of the IDE world as I have bought two Sata hard drives and connected it with sata cables to my motherboard.
>
> But just checking to be sure.
>
> Brgds and thanks in advanced!
> Dino

The concept of master / slave only exists in the IDE (PATA) world. SATA
disks do not have these troubles, as there is only one per cable.
Your setup is absolutely fine. If you haven't  already, I suggest you
read this excellent article:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2005/11/10/FreeBSD_Basics.html?page=1

I've set up quite a few gmirrors with this info.