Stumped:: web HTML. Caution, may be OT.

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Fri May 30 14:52:33 UTC 2008

On 5/29/08, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 06:14:26PM -0400, Bob Johnson wrote:
>> On 5/29/08, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
>> > 	Several weeks ago a friend asked why my www.thought.org page
>> > 	was so hard to read.  She said that part of my text was black
>> [...]
>> > 	I'd be much obliged for any help here.
>> >

>> Konqueror says that the comment that reads
>>
>> <!-- click on Graphic to goto jottings.thought.org --!>

[...]
> 	(also, this may explain why sometimes my comments bombbed during
> 	testing.  i thought "<! ...... !> was *legal*.  *mumble::censored*)

Yeah, that's a common error. It would make sense, and I have no clue
why comment tags aren't symmetric in HTML. But the bizzare thing is
that early in the days of web browsers, rather than just accept that
as legal so broken code would render correctly, the browser authors
decided to fix the problem by accepting end-of-line as a comment
terminator, which very distinctly violates the standard. So there are
a lot of web pages out there that won't render correctly on
standards-compliant browsers.

I suspect that using an editor that _correctly_ highlights HTML code
would solve most of your problems. To me, a content management system
only makes sense for a site that is either large, or has multiple
authors. If you update your site frequently, a WYSIWYG HTML editor
would be helpful and should have a very small learning curve. I think
others have already suggested a few.

I took a brief look at your site, and it appears that right now you
are pretty much using it as a blog. If the format works for you, a
site like  http://www.tumblr.com/help might be easier than maintaining
your own. The nice thing about tumblr is that you don't have to
install anything on your own system to use it.

- Bob